To build a pipeline, the existing processes must be considered and documented (i.e. »who does what and with what«). After all steps have been recorded, the pipeline can be set up or optimized. Essentially, common pipelines in software development include all or a subset of the following steps.
- Planning of changes (e.g. roadmap, issue tracking, backlog)
- Implementation of the change (i.e. code)
- Test (e.g. unit tests, integration tests, functional tests)
- Release (e.g. staging, productive)
- Operation (e.g. monitoring, reporting)